Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Break

I can't believe how quickly Thanksgiving break went by. I felt like just as I
was getting settled at home, I had to start packing my things again.
I really enjoyed my time being home, but I couldn't help but notice how
different my consumption was over the course of the break compared to when
I am at my home away from home, St. Mike's. On my first night home I
requested to my parents that we get sushi, one of my favorite foods. Although
sushi is one of my favorite foods, I rarely ever eat it here at school because it is
so expensive. When I was studying abroad in Hong Kong, sushi was extremely
cheap compared to here in the US, so I would eat it all the time, but now it's
hard to rationalize paying so much for it when I know how inexpensive sushi
can be in other parts of the world.
In addition to eating sushi over break, I had a busy Thanksgiving. I started
off the holiday by participating in a 5K road race called the Feaster Five. This
is the fifth year in a row I have run in this race and it has become a tradition for
my family to all run in this race every year. One of the benefits of waking up
early for this race is you get to witness ridiculous things like this:


Another benefit of running this road race is all participants get a free (well free after the race fee), apple pie! There are usually over 8,000 participants in this race, which equals a lot of apple pie. My dad is an excellent pie baker, so we never take advantage of the free pies, but I still think that it is a fun and interesting way to incise people to run a race on Thanksgiving day.
After lots of turkey and visiting relatives, I decided to go shopping on Black Friday for the first time. I woke up at 3:45am, or in other words the middle of the night and was at the mall before 5am. I got to the mall after it had been open for an hour, so there weren't any lines outside, but inside was not as crowded as I thought it would be. I was also surprised at the kinds of consumers I saw shopping, mostly girls between 15-25. I thought that most of the people I would see shopping would be mom's doing some early holiday shopping, but instead I saw girls shopping with friends, or the occasional daughter shopping with her mother. Most of the shopping they were doing looked like it was for themselves, not gifts for others. I didn't end up buying anything on Black Friday, mostly because I am not ready to shop for Christmas and I didn't need anything in particular. It was an interesting experience none the less.
Overall I think I had a pretty good break. Now just 3 more worked filled weeks before I head home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment